Not a failure… 


I’m sharing a few recently finished projects today that haven’t gone exactly to plan, in the hope that once I’ve talked about them I will be able to move on and sort my mistakes out! 

First up is the Blouse Top from Megan Nielsen’s  Darling Ranges pattern. I saw this during MeMadeMay, and really liked the style of both top and dress. The pattern comes in sizes XS to L, and when I compared my measurements I was S at the bust and M at the waist. I duly altered the pattern, cut out and made the top. It stretches and pulls from the shoulders to the bust, which is really annoying me! The whole point of making my own clothes is that they should fit me! Argh! 

So I made another one. This was probably a pretty stupid idea, I should have spent some time working out what went wrong with the black top. This time I added a bit more ease through the shoulders, and the result is better but not perfect.  

I found a book in the library at the weekend which is called ‘Sewing Patterns, 200 questions answered’ which suggests the problem might be caused by the angle of the shoulder seams. My shoulders are definitely square, not sloping so I’m going to play around with it to see if that makes it better, and then begin the painstaking job of unpicking the neckline binding and re-sewing it! I’m definitely going to make a toile for the dress, I have some lovely indigo chambray that I really don’t want to mess up. 

Project number 2 is a lesson in checking and double checking. I ordered some lovely Drops 100% Alpaca Yarn, to make a shawl from Simply Crochet magazine No 40, and only half way through did I realise the yarn was 4ply not lace weight. The shawl is lovely but tiny. I should have started again when I realised my error and used a bigger hook, but that yarn is really hard to pull out! The fibres all stick together.  I haven’t taken many pictures yet as I’m still in a huff with it. 

I’m going to be using that library book again for the Carrie Trousers by Sew Over It that I’m making. I am intending them as a wearable toile, I really like the trouser style but these are not going well so far! Far too big in the thighs but I’m working on it and will share it all properly in a separate post. 

So there we go, I do feel a bit better that I’ve shared some of the tricky bits (I’m not saying failure yet!) and I’m going to get busy with my unpicker now.

Have a good week!


PS my online shop will be back open again tomorrow! Hurray!


2 thoughts on “Not a failure… 

I'd love to hear any comments you have!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.