It’s been ages since I shared any dressmaking projects I’ve been working on, and now here’s three I want to share all in one go! Cue dodgy photos taken on a timer…
Last year I joined the PDF club set up by Sew Over It. As part of the membership you get to choose a free PDF pattern, and I chose the Heather Dress. One year on and I’ve finally made it!
I bought the fabric for £1.50/m in the summer from the market and cut it out in an attempt to get ahead of myself and make a winter dress early. However I’d not foreseen that I would be very busy making for Christmas craft fairs and not really have free time for dressmaking. I was also slightly put off by the fact that after cutting out the dress seemed quite complicated with three panels for front and back as well as inseam pockets. But I was wrong! The pattern pieces came together beautifully. I was so pleased as a lot of the seams seemed to be curved. One of the many things I like about SOI patterns is the amount of notches to fit the patterns together, there’s loads! It really makes it easy. The pocket was very clever and well explained too, no sewing dramas there. I used a twin needle to finish the hem and neckband, I love the finish it gives.
The fabric I’ve used is a polyester sweatshirt / double knit type fabric. It was really nice to sew with as its nice and sturdy which meant fitting the sleeves was simple and I think I’ve sewn my best neckband ever! I’m impressed with the fit too, not too tight over my square shoulders. Another reason for me to like SOI patterns as they seem to suit my shape.
I’d completely recommend the Heather Dress. It was nice to add a few unusual seam details and I really like how the pockets came together. I think a cozy sweater dress is just what I’ll be needing this week.
I’ve also recently made a new Cleo Dungarees Dress, in grey cord from Minerva Crafts. I think it’s going to be a useful addition to my wardrobe. I made matching covered buttons as I couldn’t find any dungaree clips I liked (I’m fussy), and they are a satisfying little detail.
My final project to share is a top I’ve made with scuba fabric, in a print scuba I’ve been coveting for aaaages. It’s from Fabric Godmother, who have an excellent range of scuba fabric. I bought just one metre of fabric, which is fine as I only wanted to make short sleeves and I’m really happy with how it’s turned out. I LOVE the print! The pattern is a free one I found via Pinterest from It’s Always Autumn. (Lots of lovely free dressmaking patterns and tutorials available there!) I’ve made it before for my orange sweatshirt, which is a favourite. Scuba fabric is fun to work with, I found it was best to keep it simple and not force the fabric to do too much, so I left the neckband off and did a straightforward hem instead.
Now my aim is to not to buy any more fabric but to try and use up some more of my stash of fabric, wish me luck!