Last year I created a tutorial for Take a Break Magazine with instructions on how to make an embroidered Valentine’s Decoration and I can now share that with you here on the blog! It’s very simple, combining stitch details and a handy bit of glue to keep everything in place.
You will need:
7” Embroidery Hoop, available in craft shops
Fabric measuring 11” x 11” (If your fabric is thin you might need 2 layers.)
Buttons, ribbon, lace and decorative trims in colours that match your background fabric.
Needle, sewing or embroidery thread in contrasting shades to the felt and buttons.
Piece of card at least 18cm /7” square
1. Start by drawing round the outside of the inner ring of the embroidery hoop onto the card and cut the card circle out.
2. Secure the back ground fabric in the hoop by laying it over the inner hoop and pushing the outer hoop down over the fabric. Tighten the screw and check the fabric feels taut.
3. Cut 2 lengths of lace and ribbon 20cm/ 8” long. Cut 7 triangles of felt that measure 4cm/ 1.5” long on each side (or as many triangles as you need). Lay the lace and felt triangles onto the hoop and adjust the position until you are happy. Secure the lace with a tiny bit of glue, letting the ends hang over the edge of the hoop. Add a dab of glue to the felt triangles to secure them in place.
4. Thread the needle and use running stitch to stitch around the lower edge of each triangle. Fasten the thread off by weaving it through the back of the stitches.
5. Lay the ribbon over the lace and top edges of the triangles. Secure each end with a tiny dab of glue. Stitch buttons onto the ribbon.
6. Using another shade of thread stitch your message on to the bunting triangles. You could do initials and a heart, or a cheeky Valentines message!
7. Push the fabric out of the hoop. Tuck the ends of the ribbon and lace under the outer hoop and push the outer hoop back into place again.
8. Cut two little hearts out of felt and a length of lace and ribbon each 15cm long. Fold the ribbon and lace in half and stitch into place on the bunting. Stitch the felt heart on top of the folded lace and ribbon and add a button to decorate.
9. To finish the back of the hoop cut the background fabric to an inch away from the hoop all the way round. Put a thin layer of glue around the inner hoop and press the fabric into pace. Doing this in small sections makes it easier.
10.Finally, put a line of glue around the edge of your card circle and press into place.
And you’re done! If you make one I’d love to see it, either tag me on Instagram or send me an email, email@example.com. You are welcome to sell products made to this design, please credit Teresa Bettelley at Shirley Rainbow as the designer and if possible link back to the blog post.